Search This Blog

Saturday, August 2, 2008

I'm a band whore...



It's really strange to me that when things start to get better, EVERYTHING starts to get/look better. Bob has been trying so hard to "gel" with other musicians here and he has been confiding in me lately that it just isn't happening for him, in spite of the abundance of talent and venues. It's like when you keep going to church and don't find or feel any God there when you did just a couple of months ago. Our lives have been in such a funk and we have been in survival mode for so long that we forgot how to go anywhere else. It isn't that it hasn't been fun and we haven't had nice moments at various band jobs/gigs, but there have been so many "on" nights in the past, that when you don't experience that for YEARS, you start to feel so lost and sad. When you're as f'ed up as I've been for this long, you don't remember how to move past it and you're not really sure it's worth the effort to move at all. And then God starts to move and everything kind of shifts, and then you and your husband start to really "get each other" again. And Then... You have a GREAT night; the songs are on, the guys are in tune with each other, the crowd is ready for fun and my husband blossoms in it all. He was in rare beautiful form. He was funny, he was a show-off (in the most beautiful sense of the word), and he shined in a way I haven't seen in YEARS. There is this energy and love that goes from him to the audience and back again and again. God, I missed that. It was just pure and lovely fun that we got to share with so many people that we have come to love here.

And at the end of the night, Judy (the manager) told me not to worry about our tab. She told me that we bring in the biggest and kindest crowd that she has ever seen. She blessed me in a way that fed my soul. I know it sounds silly, but it was just good for my being.


This is the showing off part... isn't he fantastic? Stevie Ray's "Pride and Joy" solo without missing a note... It makes me want to take him home after the show...
The skaterboys...

Stacey, Me and Lesley...
Bob and some gorgeous fans...
Rusty (love this boy!)
Belle, Maddie, Hannah & Ashley

2 comments:

Our Family said...

i miss that...remember when he sang 'sweet caroline" in Boyne? music changes everything. i miss that celebration.

the kids are so beautiful!

heather b said...

ohhhhohhhohhh this makes me miss you and bob both. hoping you're well and reminiscing on bob's amazing talent and your interesting little toes. hope you're well.